Miguel Anjos, PhD, FCAE, FEUROPT, SMIEEE
Electricity is a critical source of energy in our society. With ever-increasing demand and limited generation capacity, it is imperative to decrease peak demand in order to increase the utilization of existing capacity and hence the overall efficiency of the system. Smart grids enable sophisticated techniques for the management of demand. Global optimal solutions are essential in this context, since the costs of suboptimal system operation become high in the smart grid context.
My research in this area is concerned with developing new optimization models for challenges such as autonomous load management in smart homes, day-ahead generation planning, and the valuation of load curtailment options.
- M.F. Anjos. Optimization for Power Systems and the Smart Grid (invited chapter). In: Modeling and Optimization: Theory and Applications, B. Defourny and T. Terlaky (eds.), Springer, 2015, 29-47
- M.F. Anjos. Recent Progress in Modeling Unit Commitment Problems (invited chapter). In: Modeling and Optimization: Theory and Applications, L.F. Zuluaga and T. Terlaky (eds.), Springer, 2013, 1-29
- J.A. Gómez and M.F. Anjos. Power Capacity Profile Estimation for Building Heating and Cooling in Demand Side Management. Applied Energy, 191, 2017, 492-501
- M. Manickavasagam, M.F. Anjos, and W.D. Rosehart. Sensitivity-Based Chance-Constrained Generation Expansion Planning. Electric Power Systems Research, 127, 2015, 32-40
- F. Gilbert, M.F. Anjos, P. Marcotte, and G. Savard. Optimal Design of Bilateral Contracts for Energy Procurement. European Journal of Operational Research, 246, 2015, 641-650
- J. Ostrowski, M.F. Anjos, and A. Vannelli. Modified Orbital Branching with Applications to Orbitopes and to Unit Commitment. Mathematical Programming,150(1), 2015, 99-129
- G.T. Costanzo, G. Zhu, M.F. Anjos, and G. Savard. A System Architecture for Autonomous Demand Side Load Management in Smart Buildings. IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, 3(4), 2012, 2157-2165.
- J. Ostrowski, M.F. Anjos, and A. Vannelli. Tight Mixed Integer Linear Programming Formulations for the Unit Commitment Problem. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, 27(1), 2012, 39-46
Erratum: In constraint (22), the coefficient of y(t − 2) must be (−2RD + SU − P) (since y(t − 2) = 1 implies that v(t) = 1).
I. El-Samahy, K. Bhattacharya, C. Cañizares, M.F. Anjos, and J. Pan. A Procurement Market Model for Reactive Power Services Considering System Security. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, 23(1), 2008, 137-149.
This paper earned El-Samahy the 2007 MITACS Best Novel Use of Mathematics in Technology Transfer Award
- G. Bautista, M.F. Anjos, and A. Vannelli. Numerical Study of Affine Supply Function Equilibrium in AC Network-Constrained Markets. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, 22(3), 2007, 1174-1184
- G. Bautista, M.F. Anjos, and A. Vannelli. Modeling Market Power in Electricity Markets: Is the Devil Only in the Details? The Electricity Journal, 20(2), 2007, 82-92
- G. Bautista, M.F. Anjos, and A. Vannelli. Formulation of Oligopolistic Competition in AC Power Networks: An NLP Approach. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, 22(1), 2007, 105-115.
This paper earned Bautista the 2006 MITACS Best Student Paper Award.